Newsletter: February 1, 2024
Welcome to the Newsletter from Abruckner.com!
|This graphic is available for sale as a download
As of January 31st the Discography Database and the Bruckner Archive Database have been updated. The underlined headlines below will take you to the various sections of the website where the bullet points below are featured. Please use these as guides to the new information offered since the last newsletter.
Newsletter - February 1, 2024
Even though the year is young, the emphasis on Bruckner's music during this 200th birthday year is startling. This past month had me jumping around keeping track of broadcasts and the number of CD releases over January and February has never been greater. I have always wondered what it would be like to be the editor of a Mozart or Beethoven discography. I imagined that it would be more than a full time job. I am now beginning to think that this year for Bruckner may be the same.
If you enjoy this website and make good use of it, I only ask that you help support it by purchasing CDs from my store. I am aware that volume retailers may be able to better my price, but they don't produce discographies.
The travel agent in Vienna is now accepting reservations for the 2024 Bruckner Birthday Tour of Austria. This will be my fourth tour and if my wife has any say in it, it will probably be my last. This tour will certainly be special. Next August and September, Austria will be celebrating Bruckner's anniversary year and there will be no better time to visit the many sites associated with his life and music. Please look at the itinerary as it stands now. Music will be added as it is announced.
Please join the Bruckner Society of America. The Society is now celebrating its 92nd year. Annual membership is just $30.00 and it provides access to special essays and recordings and a subscription to The Bruckner Journal which is published three times per year. It is also the only place where you can obtain William Carragan’s superb new book, ANTON BRUCKNER – Eleven Symphonies - a must read for any Bruckner enthusiast. Carragan puts his enormous knowledge of Bruckner’s music on paper and complements his descriptions with smartphone “QR Codes” (or an associated website) of audio examples so the reader / listener can understand the differences between the various versions. The purchase of William Carragan's book includes a one year subscription to the Society.
CASH REWARD FOR WANTED RECORDINGS. Click here for details.
LATEST NEWS AND POSTINGS
Any news about Bruckner that reaches my desk is posted here. After a while, interesting stories are moved to the FEATURES SECTION (below).
THE BRUCKNER ARCHIVE
The Bruckner Archive recording database (with over 11,950 listings) has been updated and it is easy to download as an Excel file. Many of these recordings are available to collectors and researchers. Contact me for details on how you can fill in some holes in your collection. The database is fully sortable including the ability to sort by performance date!
- There are many subjects covered here. While the topics remain relatively static, the sections themselves are frequently updated, so make it a point to check out the various subjects under this heading.
NEW AND FEATURED RELEASES
- A listing of new releases and exclusive recordings - many currently available in my webstore.
FUTURE RELEASES AND RECENT DISCOVERIES
- A listing of future releases and recordings that have recently been discovered.
- A collection of wonderful downloads including scores and the always popular DOWNLOAD OF THE MONTH.
- The web store focuses on new Bruckner recordings and other Bruckner recordings that are not generally available. The store is divided up into sections for CDs and DVDs, books and scores, downloads, bargain samples and collectibles. Be sure to check out each section for new items. My focus is on new releases and hard-to-find items.
- As stories in the LATEST NEWS AND POSTINGS section get older, those that are still relevant get moved into the FEATURES SECTION. There is a wealth of information here that you may have missed when they were first posted.
ARTICLES / GRAPHICS
- Essays in English and other languages are entered as they are discovered or accepted.
- New graphics (over 1,300) are frequently added.
PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE All the information provided on this site is available to you free-of-charge. But it is not free for me to get it to you. Recordings must be purchased as does the server space upon which this website is stored. We have provided two easy ways for you to support this venture. First is to purchase recordings in my web store and second is to make your regular purchases through my homepage web links to online retailers. Purchases will support the ongoing expenses of operating this website.
Stay safe and happy listening!
John F. Berky